Because sometimes you just want friends to tell you about cool things… the Brew House team offers up its weekly mix of author-supported goodness.
Food: Doritos with Green Salsa
Putting together random food combinations comes with a negative connotation. If you think whip cream is good with chocolate chip cookies, you sound fat. Just about any combo can have this effect – think adding bacon to anything. But random food combos are also delicious – think adding bacon to anything.
The other night, I had a fresh bag of Spicy Nacho Doritos and some leftover green salsa from Q’Doba. Doritos have never made their case a dipping chip; that’s for tortilla chips, potato chips and even Fritos. But why not? They are pretty much the exact same as tortilla chips, only they have preservative-laced cheese that probably reduces your life by three years powdered on them.
So I ate my Doritos, and I dipped them in green salsa, and I will continue to do so. And next time, I might even add bacon to the mix. – Mark Dent
Album: “Take Care” by Drake
If you would’ve asked me one year ago which hip-hop album I’d be keeping in constant rotation, I doubt a release by Drake would have even crossed my mind.
After all, “Take Care”…
- Is a rote repurposing of Kanye West’s “808s and Heartbreak”
- Is seriously aping on the dark, processed minimalism made popular by the XX and James Blake
- Isn’t filled with impressive verses
- Includes the line “After a while, (women) all seem the same – I’ve had sex four times this week…having a hard time adjusting to fame” (every 25-year-old male’s worst nightmare, obviously)
- Features guest spots from dubious rappers like Birdman and Rick Ross
Despite those minuses, I find myself listening to the album all the time: at the gym, on the train, at work, at home.
It is what it is. And it’s very good. – Asher Fusco
Ridiculous Food Item: Bacon Milkshake
This is real. So, yea, read and enjoy. But please, please don’t consume it. For the love of pete, just don’t. — Rustin Dodd